September 27th, 1920
We must today take up our first point for it is only as we lay the foundation aright that the superstructure measures up to requirements.
- The One Fundamental School
It is therefore very essential that the emphasis is laid on the fact that no matter what the offshoots, the basic school of occultism is that one which has its root in the sacred center of the planet, Shamballa. At that place, directly under the eyes of the One Initiator Himself, Who is – as is seldom realized – the highest expression of the Teaching Ray upon the earth, is found what might be termed the central office for the educational disciplinary training work of the Hierarchy. There will be found the Chohan Who is directly responsible for the various endeavors, and to Whom the Masters Who take pupils, and the Heads of the various occult schools are directly responsible. All proceeds under law and order.
One point that it will here be necessary to emphasize is that the Brotherhood of Light, as represented by the Himalayan Masters, has its other representatives elsewhere who all carry out specific work under proper and adequate supervision. Too apt are the Theosophists to think that they alone are the repositories of the wisdom religion. Not so is the fact. At this particular moment (with the aim in view of the development and tendering of opportunity to the fifth subrace) the Himalayan Brotherhood is the main channel of effort, power and light. But the work with other races proceeds simultaneously and numerous other projects, all emanating from the central office at Shamballa, are paralleling the Himalayan work. Get this clearly in mind, for the point is important. The Himalayan School and Lodge is the one that principally concerns the occident and the only school without any exception that should control the work and output of the occult students in the West. It brooks no rival nor contemporary work with its pupils, not for the sake of its own teachers but to ensure the safety of its pupils. Danger lurks in the path of the occult student and the Himalayan adepts know adequately how to protect their pupils, provided those pupils stay within the periphery of Their united auras, and wander not out to other schools. All true occult schools demand this of their pupils, and all true Masters expect Their pupils to refrain from taking other occult instructions at the same time as they are receiving it from Them. They say not: “Our method is the only right and true method.” They say: “When receiving instructions from Us it is the part of wisdom and the line of safety to refrain from occult training in another school or under another Master.” Should a pupil desire so to do he is perfectly free to seek out other schools and teachers, but he must first break his connection with the old.
The one fundamental school may be recognized by certain outstanding characteristics:
By the basic character of the truths taught as embodied in the following postulates:
- The unity of all life.
- The graded steps of development as recognized in man, and by the graded steps of its curriculum, which lead a man from one expansion of consciousness to another until he has reached that which we call perfection.
- The relationship between the microcosm and the macrocosm and its sevenfold application.
- The method of this development and the place of the microcosm within the macrocosm as revealed through the study of the periodicity of all manifestation and the basic law of cause and effect.
By the emphasis laid on character building and spiritual development as a foundation for the development of all the faculties inherent in the microcosm.
By the requirement, demanded of all affiliated pupils without exception, that the life of inner unfoldment and development should be paralleled by a life of exoteric service.
By the graded expansions of consciousness that are the result of the imparted training; these lead a man on from step to step till he contacts his higher self, his Master, his egoic group, the First Initiator, the One Paramount Initiator, until he has contacted the Lord of his Ray and has entered into the bosom of his “Father Which is in Heaven”.
These are the outstanding features that are descriptive of the one true fundamental School.
This fundamental school has three main branches and a fourth that is in process of forming and which will make the four branches of this fourth round. These branches are as follows:
- The Trans-Himalayan Branch.
- The Southern India Branch (these are Aryan Branches).
- A Branch that works with the fourth root-race and has two fourth root-race adepts at its head.
- A Branch in process of forming that will have its headquarters in the occident at some place not yet disclosed. It has for its main object the instructing of those connected with the coming sixth root-race.
These branches are and will be closely inter-allied and will work in the closest cooperation, being all focused and under the control of the Chohan at Shamballa. The heads of each of the four branches communicate with each other frequently and are really like the faculty of one stupendous university, the four schools being like the various major departments of the foundations – like subsidiary colleges. The aim of all is the evolution of the race, the object of all is to lead all to the point of standing before the One Initiator, the methods employed are fundamentally the same, though varying in detail, due to the racial characteristics of the races and types dealt with, and the fact that certain schools work paramountly with one ray and others with another.
- The Trans-Himalayan school has its adepts as known to you, and others Whose Names are not known.
- The southern Indian school has special work with the deva evolution, and with the second and third subraces of the Aryan race.
- The Himalayan school works with the first, fourth and fifth subraces.
- The fourth root-race branch works under the Manu of that race and his brother of the Teaching Ray. Their headquarters are in China.
- The Master R. – and one of the English Masters are concerning Themselves with the gradual founding of the fourth branch of the school, with the assistance of the Master Hilarion.
Ponder on these imparted facts, for the significance is of profound importance. Tomorrow we will deal with the future. Today I have but imparted facts in present manifestation.
September 28th, 1920
Today our second point comes up for consideration, and we shall in the elucidation of it enter into the realms of prophecy. I would here point out to you that the thing which is indicated as existing in the future may not always work out in detail as foreseen. I but seek to lay before you the big general plan in its outline. The working out in the future will depend upon the intuition or high perception of the thinkers of the race and upon the ability of the incarnating jivas to seize upon the opportunities and fulfil their destiny.
We touched yesterday upon the one fundamental school with its four branches. Today I would take up:
- The National Subdivisions of the One School
At the outset I would point out to you that not every nation in the world will have its occult school. Only as the causal body of the national group has reached a certain rate of vibration will it be possible to found and institute these schools. Only as the educational work of the nation has reached a certain height will it be possible to use the mental equipment of the nation as a stepping stone for further expansion, and to use it as a basis for the occult school. And, curiously enough, only those nations which originally had a training school for the mysteries (with three exceptions) will be again, during the earlier stages, permitted national schools. The exceptions are:
- Great Britain.
- Canada and the United States.
And even these exceptions might be considered only one, the case of Australia, for the other two in Atlantean days had their occult foundations when they formed part of the earlier continent. In the turning of the wheel, earth itself reincarnates; places pass into pralaya and emerge into manifestation, holding within them the seeds that will eventuate in similar vibration, and bring into being again similar modes of expression, and similar forms.
It will be found later on, when the Occult Schools are founded, that they will be situated where some of the old magnetism yet lingers, and where in some cases certain old talismans have been kept by the Brotherhood with just this aim in view.
Branches, affiliated with one of the four central divisions of the one occult foundation, will be found in the following countries:
- This will be one of the later schools founded and will be profoundly occult and an advanced school in direct communication with the inner grades. This will be touched upon later.
- The United States will have a preparatory school somewhere in the southern part of the Middle West, and an extensive occult college in California in a place later to be revealed. This school will be one of the first started when the Great Lord begins His earthly career, and during the next five years the seeds of it may be laid if students rightly apprehend the work to be done.
- There will be one school for the Latin countries, probably in Italy or Southern France, but much depends on the political and educational work of the next ten years.
- Great Britain. At one of the magnetized spots in either Scotland or Wales, a branch for occult training will be begun before so very long, which will lay the foundation and embrace the curriculum for the earlier grades. After it has been in existence for a few years and has proved the effectiveness of its training, and after troubled Ireland has adjusted her internal problems, a school for the more advanced grades, and for definite preparation for the mysteries will be started in Ireland at one of the magnetized spots there to be found. This school will be very definitely a school where preparation for a major initiation may be taken, and will be under the eye of the Bodhisattva, preparing the pupil for initiation upon the second ray. The first school in Egypt will be for those who take initiation on the first ray in the occident.
- Those who take initiation on the line of the Mahachohan, or on the third ray, will take it at the advanced occult school in Italy. In this way the occident will have its center where active instruction may be given according to the three lines of approach, and which will give preparation in the inner mysteries.
- A preparatory occult school will be found, too, in Sweden, for those of the northern and German races who seek the Path, and when it has been extant for some time Russia may then be in a position to house the headquarters for the more advanced school affiliated to the preparatory one in Sweden. In connection with the Egyptian advanced school will be a preparatory one in Greece or in Syria.
You have, therefore, the following schools as planned, and must bear in mind that the schools wherein the preparatory work and earlier grades are found will be first in order of time, and are in process of founding now, or will be founded during the period immediately preceding the Coming of the Great Lord. The founding of others will be definitely the outcome of His work, and that of His Masters, and will depend upon Their decision as to the success of the earlier endeavor.
Preparatory Grades Advanced School
Greece or Syria leading to Egypt
Middle West, USA California, USA
Southern France Italy
Scotland or Wales Ireland
New Zealand Australia
There is also planned a preparatory school for the advanced egos of the fourth root-race. This will be under the Manu of that race and will be situated in Japan, with its most esoteric branch in western China. This makes the seventh in the group of schools outlined.
It is not purposed as yet to have branches in Southern Africa or Southern America. Their day is not yet, but comes in the next cycle.
Now, I would earnestly call to your attention that the schools will make but small beginnings and will be launched in a way that will appear at first as too unimportant to be noticeable. A beginning will be made with members of the different occult schools, such as the esoteric sections of the Theosophical movement, and others. The work in Britain, America and Australia is already in process of inception, whilst that in Sweden will shortly be on foot. The others will follow at slightly later dates.
This much of the plan has been permitted publication as an incentive to all of you to study with greater aspiration and to work with more strenuous application. Each and all has his place in the plan would he but qualify by doing the necessary work. That work should be:
- An endeavor to recognize the Divine within each one. In this manner the true occult obedience, which is an essential in all occult training, will be fostered and developed, being not based, as is so oft seen, on personality, but on that instinctive realization of a Master, and the willing following that comes from the recognition of His powers, the purity of His life and aims, and the profundity of His knowledge.
- An endeavor to think in group terms and clearly for oneself, not depending upon the word of others for clarification.
- An endeavor to purify and refine all the bodies and make them more reliable servants.
- An endeavor to equip throughout the mental vehicle and to store within it the facts upon which extended knowledge may be based.
If these things are done great will be the day of opportunity.
*Note the date of these letters much has changed since then.
Excerpted from: Letters on Occult Meditation – Letter IX – Future Schools of Meditation
Alice Bailey & Djwhal Khul