I would ask you, at the time of this Full Moon of June to spend a little time in visualizing the situation which is likely to come about on Earth if and when (as a result of the preparatory work done by and for humanity), the Hierarchy is externalized or manifests itself as a definite and recognized organization upon the physical plane. What will happen in the world if and when the Masters of the Wisdom function objectively and physically among people in – for instance – our great cities? For millions of years, They have worked behind the scenes, utilizing the minds, brains and physical equipment of Their disciples in order to carry out Their beneficent purposes. Such workers under hierarchical inspiration are by no means mediumistic in their nature, but have established a right relationship with their own souls and with the Master of their Ashram. They are responsive to hierarchical impression; they know the plans which the Masters are endeavoring to carry out, and their cooperation is willingly and consciously given; they are left entirely free to work as they see fit – after due recognition of the information and the inspiration given.
Will this system of working on behalf of humanity come to an end? In what manner will the effective and needed changes be made? How will the proposed organization take place? Of how much of these changes and organization will average humanity be aware? These and many similar questions almost automatically arise in your minds, and it is essentially necessary that the creative imagination of the advanced man, of aspirants, of probationary disciples (as well as that of the working disciple), does not run riot, creating those thought-forms which could intervene between the true vision and the work to be done, and interfere therefore with the needed manifestation. It is exceedingly important that the following facts should be realized: the thinking of those who are preparing humanity for the reappearance of the Christ must be most closely guarded and controlled; wishful thinking and the formulation of plans in line with ordinary human methods and techniques must not be permitted at this time. The first lesson, therefore, which you have to learn in this work of preparation, is controlled thought and sensitivity to hierarchical impression.
The sole task which confronts you and all aspirants and disciples, is to prepare humanity for two events:
- The organization of certain of the Masters’ Ashrams in the different countries of the world wherein they can render effective service.
- The reappearance of the Christ at a date somewhat later than the externalization of the Ashrams and their physical plane organization.
How, where, when and in what manner the Masters will make Their appearance is none of your affair. Their plans are laid, and They look for and expect no unthinking and unintelligent obstructions and assumptions from those to whom the task of preparation is committed. They have seen to it that the teaching of the New Age has been given to aspirants and disciples in the world, for distribution; They are rapidly admitting new disciples into Their Ashrams, and as fast as is desirable and permissible (for the Hierarchy works ever under law) They are passing them into the halls of initiation.
At the same time, competent disciples are searching the world for sensitive and willing aspirants; these disciples are laying their emphasis upon intelligence and spiritual freedom, working out as free and understanding cooperation; these disciples will not be sidetracked by the devotion – unintelligently expressed – of the neophyte upon the occult way. It is occult students for whom search is now being made, and not mystics; it is for clear-thinking men and women that the call has gone forth, and not for the fanatic or for the person who sees nothing but the ideal, and who is unable to work successfully with situations and things as they are, and who cannot, therefore, apply the necessary and unavoidable compromise.
The coming or the advent of the Hierarchy on earth will not bring the sudden and the beneficent changes which the enthusiastic desire. Every necessary evolutionary move is always a slow move. At no time will the Hierarchy infringe the natural processes of evolutionary growth or the normally slow development of the various kingdoms in nature towards divine expression. The Masters will, however, take advantage of all the points attained by these kingdoms, and They will (at certain critical times) utilize the more advanced specimens of the natural types – in a selective process – in order to bring in something new, better or different. This applies to the human kingdom just as much as it does to the vegetable, for instance. There is a line of thought for you in this statement.
One major technique employed by the Hierarchy is a constantly applied stimulation. Of this, the effect of the sun upon all life-forms is a symbol. It must however be remembered that the Masters have, therefore, to apply such stimulation scientifically, working first in one direction and then in another, modifying the stimulation and the inpouring stream of energy to meet a need; this They do in order to produce the desired result, and to bring to fruition that which is latent within the individual. They work with seven major types of energy; five of these are now in full use and two of them are rapidly coming into effective service. It must be borne in mind that I am here referring to the use of stimulating, vivifying, fructifying and mutable energies under what is called (esoterically) “scientific impression.” These energies are:
- 1. The energy of prana; this is the life-giving energy from the Sun which deals out both life and death, health and disease, according to the quality of the substance or material form upon which it makes its impact. This impact and its results are today entirely automatic in application and effectiveness, and are regarded as functioning “below the threshold of the consciousness” of humanity, and necessarily of the Hierarchy. Its rhythm is established and its effects are well known and proven. The direction of this energy will eventually be in the hands of that great planetary center, Humanity; therefore, to mankind will then be committed the responsibility for its distribution to the subhuman kingdoms in nature.
- The energy of the emotions or that of the astral plane. This energy is today in a condition of extraordinary activity, producing basic changes upon all sides, stimulating desire (both good and bad), and governing, via the solar plexus center, all that lies below the diaphragm in the human vehicle of expression upon etheric and physical levels. This, when combined with a powerful inflow of the energy of prana, produces and stimulates every aspect of the animal magnetism with which every physical form is equipped; when combined with the energy of mind, it produces a magnetic personality, and this in both the good and the bad sense.
- The energy of the mental plane. This is rapidly coming into an unique potency and its effects today are reaching down into the very depths of humanity, thus bringing to the surface the mental capacity which is latent in and hitherto unused by the masses of men everywhere. It can be described as pouring into the human consciousness by means of four divisions of mental energy:
- The energy of ideological thought.
- The energy of religious formulations; these are in process of creating great changes in the minds of men concerning the religious concepts of the world and the new spiritual values.
- The energy which is today producing the struggle for freedom and liberation from environing conditions. This may express itself as the world fight (at this time) for the freedom of the will of men, as it expresses itself in the press, in speech, in government, or in the struggle for a deepened spiritual life for man. This “energy of liberation” was sensed, registered and voiced for humanity by Franklin D. Roosevelt in The Four Freedoms, so much discussed by men today; he thereby laid the foundation for the new civilization and the new world culture.
- The energy of the spiritual Hierarchy of the planet, as it is applied today by the Hierarchy in the transmutation of the sad and sorry past of humanity into the glorious prospect of the New Era. This is, as you may well imagine, a sevenfold energy, emanating from and directed by the seven major Ashrams, under the direction of the Christ and of the senior Masters and Chohans, deciding in council the method, the extent and the quality of the distribution of the energy involved; They decide also where it should make its impact so as to achieve the best and the most constructive results. It is with this sevenfold energy that the Hierarchy will work in preparation for its physical plane manifestation and for the reappearance of the Christ.
- The energy of humanity itself, organized and directed by the advanced thinkers and workers in all and every (and this I reiterate) branch of human executive work; in every educational process and in all political regimes. I would most definitely emphasize the widespread nature of this energy contact because esoteric students have very frequently the erroneous idea that the Hierarchy works only through the medium of esoteric and so-called occult groups. The more advanced a man may be, the more sensitive to impress he becomes, and the human race has now reached a point of sensitivity never before attained. This has happened through the agency of the energies listed above. Disciples and aspirants and the intelligentsia everywhere and in every land are today – consciously or unconsciously – responsive to these four energies; the closer they are affiliated with some Ashram in the Hierarchy, the more the sevenfold hierarchical energies can be distributed to the rest of the human family. It is therefore in this field that the major hierarchical endeavor will – during the next fifty years – express itself. Here, consequently, lies the fundamental problem confronting the Hierarchy, for these energies must be most carefully directed and their resultant impact be most scientifically considered if over-stimulation is to be avoided.
|5. The energy of the second aspect of divinity, vaguely called by the mystics of the past era “the Christ consciousness.” This naturally focuses through the Christ Himself, standing as the Representative in the Hierarchy of the solar energy of love-wisdom. It is a form of peculiar, magnetic energy of which mankind today knows little; nevertheless, upon this energy much speculation has been permitted and many false thought-forms have been built. It is a dangerous energy because of its exceeding potency and also because this inflowing energy has to use the vehicle of the substance of the three lower worlds, and its area of influence is on the three lower planes of human existence. This at first necessarily produces conflict, and its first major conflict is now impending. I have dealt with this conflict elsewhere when discussing with you the fourth Ray of Harmony through Conflict. (A Treatise on the Seven Rays, Vol.V.) The use of this second fundamental energy (which is the primary energy of our present solar system, focusing upon our planetary life) presents to Christ Himself a great test of His skill in action; its use constitutes the major test or task which faces Him when He reappears and has the responsibility of releasing its potencies on earth. The task of all disciples is consequently to promote wisdom, and this they must learn to do under the influence of the Buddha. He taught the primary lesson of mental discrimination and detachment – two basic qualities which must be called into activity during this amazing preparatory period with which all aspirants are today confronted.
These are, therefore, the points which all groups of disciples and spiritual workers must learn to present to seeking humanity. They concern the creating and the vitalizing of the new world religion. This theme lies at the root of all that is new: discrimination between the mental approach and the soul approach, thus learning that true detachment which was symbolically but erroneously applied by all monastic orders throughout the world (both occidental and oriental) during the past few centuries, applied therefore in time and space but having no relation to the inner spiritual import. The true monastic spirit and discipline will emerge later in the historical processes of humanity.
6. The energy of the first divine aspect (that of will or power) now being applied with the most scrupulous care by Shamballa. This energy of the will is – as you have been taught – the potency of the life in all beings; it has in the past only been permitted to make contact with “the substance of humanity” via the Hierarchy. Lately, direct impact has been permitted experimentally and of this the world war (1914-1945) was the first evidence, clarifying issues, presenting opportunity, purifying human thinking and destroying the old and worn-out civilization. It is an exceedingly dangerous energy and cannot be applied in fuller measure until the race of men has learned to respond more adequately to the energy of the second aspect of love-wisdom, and therefore to the rule of the Kingdom of God.
7. There remains another energy which can only be applied very much later on and only if the activity of the six preceding energies fulfil their purpose. With it we cannot here deal, for the future is too uncertain, and in any case, it will only come into activity in the middle of the Aquarian Age.
These energies, along with the five specialized energies referred to in my June (1948) Full Moon Message will swing into great activity as the years slip away. The year 1952 will see the five specialized energies assuming great potency.
I would again call your attention to the fact that the evocative power of the Great Invocation (now used by so many hundreds of thousands) and the sound of its mantric rhythm is increasingly responsible for this work; a great deal of the resultant effectiveness is due to the fact that humanity is using this mantram in steadily increasing numbers, and this – combined with its scientific use by the Hierarchy – is very fruitful in results. It is well here to bear in mind that (to quote an old sentence by one of the Masters) “where the focus is, so will be the anchorage where descending potencies under mantric inspiration are concerned.” This means that, due to the effort of countless thousands of men and women everywhere, energies hitherto unable to penetrate deeper into substance than the hierarchical substance and the levels of the higher mental plane can now, for the first time, be successfully anchored on dense physical levels or at least upon etheric levels. This is a fact and is far more important than you are perhaps able to appreciate.
I have earlier told you that the five Masters concerned with the initial stages of the organization of the Hierarchy on earth are the Master K.H., the Master Morya, the Master R., the Master Who started the labor movement in the modern world, and myself, the so-called Master D.K.
The division of labor is here of great interest. In my June message for 1948, I referred to the five specialized energies which were at that time released to carry forward their impersonal task. Each of these energies is concerned with the desired organization, for it must ever be remembered that though the organization which we are considering is concerned with the interior or subjective work of the Hierarchy, the repercussions and the resultant effects will take place on earth, with physical plane effects, because the old occult truism “as above, so below” will be rapidly and objectively demonstrated. This result and the effects produced will constitute one of the modes whereby the Hierarchy will prove its factual presence on earth.
The Ashram of the Master K.H. is already assuming an increased stimulating potency, but it will nevertheless be one of the last to manifest objectively on the physical plane. The mission of that Ashram is to produce the energy which will make possible and definite the reappearance of the Christ. That reappearance is the major preoccupation of the Master K.H. and His group of initiates and disciples. The first step taken by the Ashram was embodied – as far as all of you are concerned – in the pamphlet entitled The Reappearance of the Christ (Wesak Message, May 1947). To this must be added the vitalization and the stimulation of the two-thousand-year-old thought-forms which men, down the centuries, have created in anticipation of His coming or advent. The movement toward expectancy and preparation is now rapidly gaining momentum. This was the first concrete result of the combined desire of this second ray Ashram. However, the work being done in this Ashram is more definitely concerned with three lines of activity. These are:
- The preparation of the many combined Ashrams, leading to externalization.
- The formulation of the techniques and disciplines which will be of service to the initiate or disciple who is making the primary effort to function objectively, to work before the screen of life and not behind the scenes, as hitherto, and to develop that “resistant capacity” which is needed to withstand the violent impacts of physical plane living.
- The mental and spiritual registration of the plans of the Christ, and the consequent development of that skill in action which will permit these plans to materialize correctly.
Within the second ray Ashram of the Master K.H. and His affiliated groups (such as the Ashram for which I am responsible) it is the energy of wisdom which is being effectively used. It might be said that this dual energy, hitherto a fused and blended energy, is today working as a true duality. The energy of wisdom is active within all the Ashrams (on all rays and under all the Masters); the energy of love is directed primarily towards the third great planetary center, Humanity, stimulating the aura of that mass of living units so that their “magnetic appeal will be the outstanding quality of their divine approach.” The directing Agents for this dual activity are the Master K.H. and a chosen group of His senior initiates and disciples, of whom I am not one, because I have another task committed to me.
The Master K.H. is therefore constantly in close association with the Christ, the Head of the Hierarchy. Christ is today, with the aid of the Lord of the World and the Buddha, preparing Himself for the most difficult task with which He has ever been confronted. It is not a matter of the Christ issuing forth from the High Place where He is today to be found, and suddenly appearing among men; it is not a case of His taking infant form and growing into His work with advancing years; it is not a case of His being instantly recognized and acclaimed by millions of miserable human beings awaiting liberation. None of these ideas or hopes forms any part of His plan, nor are they possible. No Member of the Hierarchy, and certainly not its Supreme Head, attempts to bring about results which are doomed to failure; presented thus, they would be bound to fail, because the point of sensitivity of humanity makes failure inevitable – if success is expected along these most ordinary lines.
Skill in action, wise and understanding judgment, the adaptation of present affairs to the desired future, the coordination of the work to be done, and the clear enunciation of the platform upon which the new teaching must be founded, plus the survey (if I may so express it) of the foundations upon which the new structure of the coming civilization must be founded – it is with these things that the Christ is at this time concerned. You can realize, therefore, the tremendous and cooperative activity with which the Master K.H. and His Ashram are concerned. The stimulation of that activity comes from two directions: necessarily from Shamballa, from the Buddha and from the Avatar of Synthesis, and increasingly from the world of men, as expectancy, hope and demand combine to make their united appeal.
The Ashram or group center through which the Master Morya works is also exceedingly busy. It is obvious to you that as this is a first ray Ashram, the energy coming from the Avatar of Synthesis will make its primary impact upon this Ashram, which provides the line of least resistance. There, it is scientifically stepped down or broken down, prior to distribution to the Ashrams of the five Masters engaged in the work of preparation.
The highest aspect possible of assimilation by the Hierarchy is directed by the Masters towards the Christ and is used by Him in His individual and planned preparatory work. Though He demonstrated when here before that His mission or work had a group or brotherhood objective, it is well known in hierarchical circles that first ray synthesis is something higher still than unity, and that even the Christ has somewhat to grasp anent this new potency – coming both from Shamballa or from the Father (as the Christ used to call that emanating source), and also from extra-planetary sources. Above all, He has the difficult task of training or adapting His physical vehicle so that it can assimilate this extraordinary high potency and, at the same time, keep it in a condition in which He can move outward on the physical plane among men.
The Christian Church has laid so much emphasis on Christ’s unique position as the one and only Son of God that great error has crept in and has been fostered for centuries; Christ Himself foresaw the possibility of this error and tried to offset it by pointing out that we are all the “Sons of God” and that “greater things than I do shall you do” – a statement which no commentators have ever understood or adequately explained. The occult fact is that there is no being on Earth, from the very lowest form of life to the very highest, who is not moving onward towards a greater and finer expression of divinity, and Christ Himself is no exception to this universal evolutionary law. He is therefore, at this time and because He is preparing to raise the entire human family nearer to God, laying Himself open to certain powerful inflowing energies, absorbing into Himself streams of spiritual force, and undergoing a dynamic stimulation which is entirely new to Him; this constitutes His testing for the exalted initiation which now confronts Him; it constitutes also the sacrifice He is making in order to complete His work on Earth and bring a new salvation to humanity.
The Christ is working, therefore, in very close cooperation with the Master Morya, and also with the Manu (one of the three Heads of the Hierarchy), and these three – the Christ, the Manu and the Master Morya – create a triangle of energies into which (and through which) the energy of the Avatar of Synthesis can pour, finding right direction under Their combined efforts.
On the physical plane, the initiates and the disciples working in the Ashram of the Master Morya are primarily occupied with the expression of synthesis in the world of politics and of government, and with offsetting wrong approaches to synthesis, seeking to preserve freedom in unity. It is a subjective synthesis for which they work – a synthesis which will express itself in an outer differentiation. This synthesis will define the many aspects of the essential, basic unity which, working out under the stimulation of the energy of synthesis, will bring about eventual peace and understanding on earth – a peace which will preserve individual and national cultures, but which will subordinate them to the good of the whole of humanity.
|We come now to the preparatory work being done by the Master Who started what is called by you “the labor movement.” This is regarded by the Hierarchy as one of the most successful attempts in all history to awaken the masses of men (in the brackets called middle class and lower class) to general betterment, and thus set up a momentum which would, occultly speaking, “swing them into light.”
Along with the development of the labor movement, mass education came into being, with the result that – from the angle of developed intelligence – the entire level of conscious awareness was universally raised. There is still much illiteracy, but the average citizen in all the western democracies and in the Soviet Union is as well educated as the intellectual man in the Middle Ages. You have, in this activity, an outstanding instance of how the Masters work, for (to the average onlooker) the labor movement arose from within the masses and the working classes; it was a spontaneous development, based upon the thinking and the teaching of a mere handful of men who were regarded primarily as agitators and trouble makers; they were in reality a group of disciples (many of them unconscious of their esoteric status) who were cooperating with the Law of Evolution and also with the hierarchical Plan. They were not particularly advanced disciples, but they were affiliated with some Ashram (according to their ray), and were therefore subject to impression. Had they been advanced disciples or initiates, their work would have been futile, for their presentation of the Plan would not have been adapted to the level of the intelligence of the then totally uneducated masses composing labor.
This Master works primarily with the intelligentsia, and He is therefore a third ray Master – upon the Ray of Active Intelligence. His Ashram is occupied with the problems of industry, and the goal of all the thinking, all the planning and all the work of impressing receptive minds is directed towards spiritualizing the concepts of the labor party in every country, and of industrialists, thus turning them towards the goal of right sharing, as a major step towards right human relations. This Master therefore cooperates with the Master R. – Who is the Head of the third ray Ashram, and Who is also one of the Triangle of Forces which controls the greater Ashram of the Hierarchy Itself. The Ashram of this Master (Who has always withheld His name from public knowledge) is a lesser Ashram within the major third ray Ashram, just as my Ashram lies within the ring-pass-not of the Ashram of the Master K.H. This Master is necessarily an Englishman, for the industrial revolution started nearly one hundred years ago in England, and the potency of the work done is related to its mass effect and to the results achieved in every land by labor and its methods. All the great labor organizations, national and international, are loosely knit together subjectively, because in each group this Master has His disciples who are working constantly to hold the movement in line with the divine Plan. It is well to bear in mind that all great movements on earth demonstrate both good and evil; the evil has to be subdued and dissipated, or relegated to its right proportional place, before that which is good and in line with hierarchical planning can find true expression. What is true of the individual is true also of groups. Before the soul can express itself through the medium of the personality, that personality has to be subdued, controlled, purified and dedicated to service. It is this controlling, subduing process which is going on now, and it is vociferously fought by the selfish and ambitious elements.
Nevertheless, the work of this Master is outstandingly successful in preparing the intellectual principle of the masses for eventual right recognition of the Christ. A right sense of values is being developed, and in the right direction of this potent labor group in every land lies the foundation of the new civilization.
The Ashram of this Master is therefore occupied with worldwide economic problems, and also with a direct attack upon the basic materialism to be found in the modern world. The problems of barter and exchange, the significance of money, the value of gold (a basic symbol of the third Ray of Active Intelligence), the production of right attitudes towards material living, and the entire process of right distribution are among the many problems dealt with in this Ashram; the work done is enormous and of great importance in preparing men’s mind for the return of the Christ and for the New Age which He will inaugurate. Capitalists and labor leaders, financial experts and thinking workers, and members of all the differing ideologies which are prevalent in the world today are to be found actively working within this Ashram. Many of them are what the orthodox religious man or the hide-bound occult student would regard as non-spiritual, yet all of them are in reality deeply spiritual in the correct sense, but they care not for labels, for schools of thought nor for academic, esoteric teaching. They exemplify within themselves a livingness which is the hallmark of discipleship.
When these three factors are present in any human being, the Masters know that good material is presented to Them for training. Today the world is full of such men and women, and in them lies the dominant hope of the future.
One more point I would like to discuss. Through the work of this Master and His Ashram the “sealing of the door where evil dwells” will come about, because it is essentially this group which (if I dare so express it) is coping with raw materialism and the false values which it engenders. The door has to be sealed by a vast mass of coordinated human forces, and not by one or two enlightened men. This fact must be grasped by you. The energy of love-wisdom, the energy of the second ray, can and will bring in the Kingdom of God; the energy of the divine will can and will galvanize with its dynamic potency the entire human family to the point where a group transition will take place from the fourth into the fifth kingdom. It is nevertheless this third ray energy, as wielded in the Ashram of this English Master, under the direction of the Mahachohan, the Lord of Civilization, which will force a right attitude toward materialism, which will bring about a balance between the material values and the spiritual, and which will eventually thrust back into futility the Forces of Evil which have for so long distracted the world of men. I am choosing my words with care.
You will note, therefore, how the three divine aspects are united in one great movement to bring in the Kingdom of God, and that the first step towards this longed-for consummation is the appearance of the Masters upon the physical plane, and then, somewhat later, the reappearance of the Christ.
We now come to a consideration of the vast Ashram controlled by the Master R. He is the Lord of Civilization and His is the task of bringing in the new civilization for which all men wait. It is a third ray Ashram, and therefore enfolds within its ring-pass-not all the Ashrams to be found upon the third Ray of Active Intelligence, upon the fifth Ray of Concrete Science and upon the seventh Ray of Ceremonial Order. All these Ashrams are working under the general direction of the Master R. He works primarily through the Masters of these three types of ray energy. He Himself at this time is occupied with seventh ray energy, which is the order-producing energy upon our planet.
This is the Ray of Ceremonial Order, and through the activity of its energy, when correctly directed and used, a right rhythm is being imposed upon all aspects of human living. An effort is being constantly made to arrest the ugly chaos of the present and to produce the ordered beauty of the future. The major weapon now being used by the combined Forces of Evil is chaos, disruption, lack of established security, and consequent fear. The potency of these evil forces is exceedingly great because they belong to no one group of people and to all the ideologies. The chaos produced by indifference, the chaos produced by uncertainty, the chaos produced by fear, by starvation, by insecurity, by watching others suffer innocently, and the chaos produced by the warring and conflicting ambitious elements in every nation (without exception) – these are the factors with which the Master R. is attempting to deal; the task is one of supreme difficulty. The entire rhythm of international thinking has to be altered, and that constitutes a slow and arduous task; the evil personalities which, in every country, are responsible for the chaos and uncertainty, have eventually to be replaced by those who can work in cooperation with the rhythm of the seventh ray, and thus produce ordered beauty.
The Externalization of the Hierarchy – Section IV – Stages in the Externalization
By Alice Bailey & Djwhal Khul